Grammar checker apps are an essential tool for every writer. But finding a good one that fits your needs is not easy. And finding one’s that is free is even more daunting. This is why we are here to help you with our list of the best free grammar checker apps and proofreaders.
What is a Grammar Checking App?
A grammar checker is a piece of software that helps in checking the grammatical correctness of any piece of text. Often word processors have this feature in-built, however, nowadays there are dedicated web tools that do the job a lot better.
Grammar-checking apps and tools usually use natural language processing and grammatical rules to analyze mistakes and other language errors. These tools often detect and correct issues like punctuation errors, spelling errors, capitalization errors, and the like. Advance checkers often also analyze sentence formation, tone of voice, redundancy, fluency, readability, and even plagiarism.
Why Use Grammar Checkers?
Grammar proofreaders make it easy for users to check grammar issues with ease. They drastically cut down proofreading time and save both resources and costs. With a good app, you can check all kinds of text including articles, blogs, emails, essays, social media posts, documentation, and so much more.
Best Free Grammar Checker Apps of 2022
To help you choose the best free proofreaders and tools to automate the grammar-checking process, we have curated this list with the top picks. Let’s dive in!
Grammarly tops the list of Grammar checker tools as it is one of the most popular and widely used software. This checker is available as a web app, mobile keyboard, and web extension. The web app performs the best of all. It is one of the best free grammar checker tools that you can use to proofread grammar, spelling, punctuation errors, and more. Grammarly has both free and paid versions.
This grammar checker lets you analyze up to 100,000 characters at a time. All you need to do is copy and paste your content into the Grammarly editor and it works its magic.
However, you can also use its browser extension if you want to work directly on your WordPress site or your emails. Grammarly offers free Chrome or Firefox browser extension, which helps highlight the errors in a jiffy by underlining them in red. However, the web app is better if you want to do heavy editing and utilize some additional features like clarity, tone, delivery etc.
- AI-based text checker
- Browser, Google Docs, and MS Word integration
- 256-bit AES & SSL/TLS encryption
- Personal dictionary
- 1 user per account
- Available for mobile interface
- Advanced style suggestions
- Better sentence structure analysis
- Tone and formality level checker
- Wordiness and ineffective vocabulary filter
- Built-in plagiarism checker
- Style consistency checker
- Human proofreading (additional cost)
- Inclusive language
- AML SSO (for accounts with 50+ users)
- Word choice
Ginger is the next item on our list of the top free grammar checkers. If you have trouble with irregular verbs/adverbs and confusing wordings this grammar checker is a great tool that will help you proofread your text quickly. Ginger offers two tools in one, an online proofreading tool and a contextual spell checker.
The contextual spell checker analyzes text and determines the corrections that best fit the original passage’s meaning. This tool will level up your writing skills while boosting productivity as well.
Ginger is available as a browser extension, an iOS/Android, Windows, or MS Word/Outlook integration, as well as directly from their website.
- Smart grammar corrector
- Spell checking
- Proofread and type at the same time
- Third-party integrations available
- Personalized practice sessions
- Terminology management
- Style check
- Knowledge base
- Unlimited AI-powered corrections
- Word definitions
- Unlimited synonyms
- Unlimited sentence rephrasing
- 40+ language translations
- 7-day money-back guarantee
The writer is ideal for marketing teams, social media managers, sales and HR departments, PR, brand agencies and related business writing tasks. For editing everything from emails to Google Docs, this AI-based tool is the ideal copy editing solution.
The application gives a dedicated style guide and facilitates safe collaboration among writing teams, just like Grammarly Business. And its paid version costs less than Grammarly as well.
The writer stands out not only for its sophisticated AI editing algorithms but also for its extensive integrations with HubSpot, WordPress, Twitter, Slack, and other services.
- Readability and language check
- Grammar and spelling editor
- Tense and punctuation analyzer
- Inclusivity and plagiarism check
- Verb conjugations
- One-click proofreading
- Company-approved messaging and terms
- Content scoring
- Up to 200 custom terms
- Style guide for consistent styling of content
- Content security
- API access and SSO (higher-tier)
- EU-US privacy shield
- AICPA SOC 2 and HIPAA compliance
- Email support
Language tool is the perfect proofreading software for those who write in a non-native language. You can edit the text in English, German, Spanish, French, and Portuguese thanks to the multilingual nature of the software. The language tool allows up to 10,000 characters per text to be proofread with its grammar checker tool for free.
LaunguageTool has a great UI and usability. It’s easy to set up, easy to use, and it looks good while doing it. However, to fully avail of its features you will need to buy the paid version. But the free version is great for beginners and offers a lot of essential proofreading features such as checking basic grammar, style, punctuation, etc. It also offers quality scoring of your content so you can analyze your writing before submission.
- Basic grammar checker
- Punctuation checker
- Style checking
- Distraction-free writing experience
- Personal dictionary
- Quality scoring for your texts
- Securely stored texts
- Multiple integrations
- Multiple languages
- Access more suggestions
- macOS app available
- Browser add-ons
- Add-on for Microsoft Word
- Add-on for Google Docs
- Style/tone suggested corrections
- Up to 60k characters per text field
- Detection for incorrect names and email titles
- Incorrect number detection (IBAN, ISBN,..)
- User management
Scribens is a minimal editor and grammar checker best for basic proofreading and editing blog post manually. With Scribens you can quickly and easily check hundreds of typos, grammar, spelling, and style mistakes. It is a free grammar-checking application backed by sophisticated algorithms, the web app claims to work better than Microsoft Word when it comes to proofreading.
The color codes for Scribens are as follows –
- Grammar – red
- Verbs – green
- Suggestion – yellow
- Typography and punctuation (commas, etc.) – blue
With Scribens you can switch the editor’s settings to use American or British English vocabulary. Decide whether you want to manually fix unknown proper nouns or let autocorrect do its job. It also enables you to select the font size of the document, so you don’t need to alter it over and again when editing.
- Spelling and grammar corrections
- Beginner-friendly interface
- Rephrasing and subjectivity
- Windows, Mac, browser compatibility
- Access to dictionaries
- No daily word limit
- Proofreading optimized
- Vocabulary enhancement
- Text checks up to 200,000 characters
- Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, and LibreOffice
- Direct email checks (Gmail/Outlook/Hotmail/Yahoo)
- Direct correction for Facebook, WordPress, and more
- Backup and management of recent texts
- Premium version for the French language
- Multiple useful extensions
- No advertising
If you are a beginner, student, blogger, or even just a writer on a budget, using writing tools is crucial but so is saving costs. This is why our list of the top free grammar checker will help you big time. Additionally, if you want even more help with your writing check out our list of the best AI writers that will help you level up your writing game!